Friday 9 March 2012

Four lovely new chicks

In the end four out of the remaining five eggs hatched and we now have four beautiful Rhode Island Eggs chicks.....well almost! Three of them look like Rhode Island Red chicks, the fourth is a bit of a mystery. Either the eggs got mixed up, or there was strange cockerel about! To be fair the lady I bought the eggs from did say that six were Rhode Island Red eggs she wasn't sure what the seventh was. I think she said it might be Light Sussex, but I don't think so!


The little one in the middle of the three light coloured chicks was the last to hatch and is a very small chick. It's amazing how much the Rhode Island Red chicks look like chirpy did at that age, so I guess Chirpy has quite a lot of Rhode Island Red in him (as you would expect since his mum was an ex battery hen). I have not given the new chicks names as yet...any suggestions anyone?

Time to wash out the incubator with disinfectant and start some more eggs off. This time I've gone for Quail. I bought the eggs online and they were delivered in the post in a purpose made expanded polystyrene box. Amazingly they all arrived intact and after letting them stand overnight I put them in the incubator today.


They certainly are beautiful eggs. I had to set the incubator 0.2 deg C warmer for the Quail eggs - 37.7 deg C instead of 37.5 deg C. They should start hatching in about 16 or 17 days.

3 comments:

  1. Aw, how cute are these gorgeous little chicks! I love the odd coloured one - Oddball? I'll be back over the weekend to read some more about these!

    Maria x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my word they are soooo cute! Well, Ive been searching IMDB to come up with names from Chicken Run......you know the movie! So we've got Rocky....he was the Rooster obviously, then theres Babs, Fowler, Mac, Fetcher, Bunty.....need I go on?! You could always call one "Nugget" as in Chicken Nugget or is that really wrong?! "KFC" maybe? Coronation (as in Coronation Chicken....Corni for short?)....Ohhhh what about Korma or Balti?? Is that really taking it too far? I'll stop because the next time you see me, I may get a wallop around the noggin, lol. Though I did call my pet mice Bubble and Squeak and they didnt seem to mind being named after well known foods, lol. Glad the family is expanding. Good luck with the Quails. Lee :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee, if we have a Rhode Island Red rooster then he will have to be called Rocky! Chicken run is one of my favourite films (now there's a surprise!). As for your other suggestions for names such as "Nugget", "Korma", "Balti" etc... Noooooooooooooooooo! I'm going to go into a darkened room now and have a lie down. Lol! Tom :)

      Delete