Wednesday 7 March 2012

Time to move on

With more eggs due to hatch today, my highest priority over the last few days has been to get the "indoor chicken run" finished for Chirpy and the other chicks to move into. The large wooden box I've made needs to be heated and I've decided to use two different heat sources: a tubular greenhouse heater and an infrared lamp. The tubular heater is rated about 80 Watts and will provide a gentle heat night and day. The infrared lamp is rated about 100 Watts and will provide extra heat (and light) during the day. I don't want to "force" the chicks to grow too fast by providing light 24 hours a day, so the infrared lamp will be turned off at night.


The photo above shows the inside of the wooden box where the tubular heater will be installed. I cut a 57mm diameter hole in each side and cut a slot in the floor to allow air to enter, and I attached some fine metal mesh to the underside of the slot to keep out mice and other unwelcome visitors. The following photo shows the tubular heater in place.


I made a slotted wooden cover to go over the heater and provide somewhere warm for the chicks to perch or sit. The slots will allow air to circulate around the heater and hopefully prevent it from getting too hot. The following photo shows the slotted wooden cover in place.



I added a couple of perches at different heights so that the chicks can perch in the gentle warmth of the airflow from the heater. Finally I placed some bricks on the floor of the box to set the feeder and drinker on and bedded the box with a good layer of wood shavings. The following photo shows the indoor chicken run ready to take its new occupants. Note the infrared lamp sitting on the wire mesh cover.


I left the whole thing to warm up overnight before putting the chicks in this morning. I put the three smaller chicks (Sooty, Sweep and Blondie) in first and then put Chirpy in. I've kept a close eye on them all day and I'm pleased to say that they seem to be getting along just fine. I was worried about Chirpy bullying the others, but if anything Sooty is the most aggressive and was trying to peck Chirpy but couldn't quite reach!

Chirpy spent most of the day perching and preening and the young chicks have had great fun scratching and scraping around in the wood shavings. The following photo shows all four chicks enjoying some chick crumbs.


I had five eggs due to hatch today. So far three have hatched and there's another that is hopefully going to hatch soon. I think the fifth egg may not hatch, but I'll give it a day or two and see what happens. Being a glutton for punishment, I've ordered a dozen Quail eggs to put in the incubator after the current batch have all hatched. Should keep me busy and out of mischief for a while!

2 comments:

  1. Well I must say, I am very impressed. And if I was a chicken.....this would be like living in the Hilton! Very impressive indeed. They all look very much at home. I laughed my head off when you said Sooty was trying to peck Chirpy but couldnt reach! He certainly has high hopes anyway! Hope all the newbies hatch fine and dandy. Looks like you will have your hands full with more chicks and new Quail chicks too. Poor Lucky will be banished to the furtherest corner of the house, lol. Lee :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lee. Yes, Lucky was in a strange mood last night - he was biting and scratching while looking at me as if to say "does that hurt yet?". I think he is feeling neglected.

      I was worried the chicks would not be warm enough so late last night I put a heating pad in the chicken run as well. Sooty is still being aggressive - as you say I think he has high aspirations. He is lucky that Chirpy is so laid back.

      New chick number four hatched this morning - I think that's it now - the other egg doesn't look as if it's going to hatch.

      Delete